Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Passion!


Heavy sigh .. and not in the way that you might think a heavy sigh would go with the topic today… This heavy sigh is in frustration.

How do you get people passionate about what they do?

How do you get people to care about their own way of business… ?

HOW HOW HOW??????

No matter what you do .. do it well .. do it with care and do it with pride.

It doesn’t matter your part in the world… waitress, business man, company owner, delivery person, receptionist or store clerk…. what matters is how you do your job.

It may not be your dream job … but it’s your job …. do it with passion, pride and care… you may not be in the happiest place doing the best of jobs but your attitude toward what you do makes all the difference in the world.. not only to you but to those around you as well.

It feels to me that for the most part .. getting others passionate about what they do is like trying to light wet firewood … soaking wet firewood!

I suppose it’s probably not my job to get others passionate about what they do … but it frustrates me to see people not taking care and pride in their own jobs.

If you don’t like what you do .. change it… I know .. its not always that easy … but if you don’t even try to change it .. its not going to change on its own.. and in the mean time .. find something in what you are doing that you DO like and focus on that .. and if nothing else just take pride in doing a job well done..

Even if you are a file clerk .. you can be the best damn file clerk that office has ever seen! or best receptionist, storage clerk, maintenance person, delivery tech, computer tech, support staff, cook, cleaner, sales person, etc. You are limited but none other than yourself.

Ok .. that’s my gripe of the day … sorry for going off on a tangent…. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .. whew.. ok I feel better now!

Many Blessings for a beautiful day,
Raventalker

P.S.
I have to add a personal experience here:

years ago I worked at a place that at first I liked and then because I wouldn’t follow the manager around like trained dog I was put on the blacklist and made to feel bad every day … made to have lunch alone instead of in the group with everyone else.. made to be the one to go fetch things from the storage building from hell .. and just made to feel inferior every day.

What did I do about it?
I made sure I was best damn employee that company had ever seen .. making myself so valuable that once I was gone I would without doubt be missed! I managed a system for the storgage building from hell that only I knew.. so again when I was able to leave .. they would be lost. I took it upon myself to do the best of my ability and I challenged myself daily to out do myself .. and this took the focus off how others were trying to make me feel and I felt pride in myself for a job well done and for knowing that what I was doing was to the very best of my ability. I took the power out of their hands and put it in my own .. I was determined to do well despite the things they were trying to do to make me feel bad.

To this day .. I still smile.. Months after I left I went back to visit a few friends and it was nice seeing a huge mountain of stuff that needed to be done and wasn’t because I was gone.. hahahahahahahaha THAT WAS THE BEST!

Do your best no matter what others are doing …. just do your own personal best and take joy from knowing that you have done exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment