Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Finding your animal totems


Ok in the past few days I have had several conversations about how do you find your totem animal or animals .. and how do you know which animal is yours.... soooooooooooooo I thought I might speak a few words about this.


The first thing that I want to say is ... the below are my own thoughts and ways ... I'm not saying this is the one and only way and I'm not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong... all I can do is give you my perspective and speak from my own experiences... so please don't take it personally if my view differs from yours or from what you may have been told by someone else..


ok whew .. now that the disclaimer is said and done.. we can get down to business.


Note #1 - First of all there were comments by one of my friends that she is connected to one particular animal more than any other and then she said that told her that her totem was something else .. her next statement was that she has never connected with that animal.


Well, I'm not saying that whoever told her what her totem was - was wrong .. that totem may be around her but not yet showing itself to her - but also I want to say that ... YOU are the one connecting with YOUR totem .. YOU are the one effected ... YOU are the one being guided - Don't worry so much about what others tell you - instead ... if you feel strongly linked to one particular animal or 2 or 3 or whatever - then that/those are YOUR totems.


Note #2 - You may have many totems throughout your lifetime.. some stay with you for long periods of time and sometimes forever and some come and go as they are needed. Sooooooo ... you meet someone and they tell you is your totem ... or at least that's what THEY see as YOUR totem ... and that may be true for that moment in time... but as your life progresses and you change .. your situation changes and all things around you change .. your totem may or may not also change. So don't get yourself stuck on ... "so and so said this is my totem so that's it .. forever" LOL



Note #3 - You will find your totem when you stop trying so hard to find it ..


It is not something to be forced or made to be.. when you relax and let things just be .. you will see...

You must allow your totem to come to you .. welcome it into your life and soon you will discover it has been there all along.. you will see the signs and have that DUH! Moment .. LOL...


When you push and push and try to force things to be ... the vision becomes blurred and unclear. We all have our totems.. don't worry you are not without one just because you are unsure of what it is. You just have to relax and allow it to show itself to you.


Note #4 - Stan Hughes has a wonderful book called Medicine Seeker.. in the back of his book he has a 100+ question survey to help you find out what totems you may have. It's a very in depth survey that may bring light to what you already know but may be suppressing.


Here's a link to Stan's page
http://www.facebook.com/people/Stan-Hughes/722647534#!/profile.php?id=100001401923003



Anyway .. I hope this has helped .. good luck and Many Blessings,
Raventalker

1 comment:

  1. Hey :)
    I live far far away from USA and haven't really explored the native American culture but in some strange way, on the beginning of my self-revelation (which was a while ago) it just popped in my mind. Totems, and very quickly I found mine. The problem is that here we don't have almost any literature on that topic, so first of all: can you recommend some books and second: because I can just feel it in me, the relation to native Americans,and know almost nothing about it can you tell me how to use the fact I have a totem? Hm.. it sounds very weird but how can it help me and in which way?

    thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete